25/01/2012

Visit - journal - record. (continued)




I went to visit "The Power of Making" exhibition at V&A with my Elective - Novelty group. Above is the catalogue I collected in the museum, with some personal notes.

I had such mixed feelings after seeing the display. The exhibition showed several designs that played an impeccably important part in our lives which worth introducing and reminding to general public yet also, there is a number of creations that are so much to make me as an audience question and question. They are like work created just for the sake of something novel, almost inapplicable in general everyday life and particularly, they do lack of aesthetic values. I remember there was a sculpture, which I found rather tantalizing and disturbing. It was displayed right at the entrance of the exhibition, created in the shape of an enormous gorillaz and is composed of numerous metal coat hangers. Honestly, the sculpture has failed to have any aesthetic value, in no other way I could find its “beauty” and I believe it was made only to impress viewers about its giant size and probably, novelty.


And some other individual visits I had during Christmas break: